[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Big tent? (Related to Plugins for all)

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jul 20 22:41:23 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Fox, Kevin M's message of 2016-07-20 20:12:48 +0000:
> And maybe this raises an interesting defininition mismatch in the conversation.
>
> There is archetectural stuff like, do we support 7 different web frameworks, or do we standardize on flask... python vs go.

Yeah meh, that's developer centric implementation details and I think
not very interesting. To me the architectural questions are deeper. "How
do we do locking?", "How should we enable inter-process and inter-host
communication?", "How do we handle distributed transactions?" and "What
concurrency model should we use?".

> Theres also the architectural stuff at the, what interactive surface do you expose to users/operators. How consistant is it. Does it have all the features, no matter where they are implemented to do work.

I believe this is the goal of the API-WG. But again, they're not there
to compel, they're there to advise, assist, and work. Ultimately, if an
API is created and is poor, like Linus, the community can definitely say
"No" and refuse to use that API.