[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Big tent? (Related to Plugins for all)

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 18:24:53 UTC 2016

On 20 July 2016 at 19:57, James Bottomley <
James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:

> OK, I accept your analogy, even though I would view currency as the
> will to create and push patches.
>
> The problem you describe: getting the recipients to listen and accept
> your patches, is also a common one.  The first essential is simple
> minimal patches because they're hard to reject.
>
> Once you've overcome the reject barrier, there's the indifference one
> (no-one says no, but no-one says yes).
>
> [snip]

The trouble with drive-by architecture patches (or large feature patches of
any kind) is that it is often better *not* to merge them if you don't think
the contributor is  going to stick around for a while. This changes are
usually intrusive, and have repercussions that take time to discover. It's
often difficult to keep a change clean when the original author isn't
around to review the follow-on work.