[openstack-dev] [Nova] [RFC] ResourceProviderTags - Manage Capabilities with ResourceProvider

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 18:15:44 UTC 2016

On 07/13/2016 01:37 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2016, at 6:08 AM, Alex Xu <soulxu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For example, the capabilities can be defined as:
>>
>>     COMPUTE_HW_CAP_CPU_AVX
>>     COMPUTE_HW_CAP_CPU_SSE
>>     COMPUTE_HV_CAP_LIVE_MIGRATION
>>     COMPUTE_HV_CAP_LIVE_SNAPSHOT
>>
>> ( The COMPUTE means this is coming from Nova. HW means this is hardware related Capabilities. HV means this is
>>  capabilities of Hypervisor. But the catalog of Capabilities can be discussed separated. This propose focus on the
>>  ResourceTags. We also have another idea about not using 'PREFIX' to manage the Tags. We can add attributes to the
>>  Tags. Then we have more control on the Tags. This will describe separately in the bottom. )
>
> I was ready to start ranting about using horribly mangled names to represent data, and then saw your comment about attributes for tags. Yes, a thousand times yes to attributes! There can be several standards, such as ‘compute’ or ‘networking’ that we use for some basic cross-cloud compatibility, but making them flexible is a must for adoption.

I disagree :) Adoption -- at least interoperable cloud adoption -- of
this functionality will likely be hindered by super-flexible description
of capabilities. I think having a set of "standard" capabilities that
can be counted on to be cross-OpenStack-cloud compatible and a set of
"dynamic" capabilities that are custom to a deployment would be a good
thing to do.

Best,
-jay