[openstack-dev] [TripleO] tripleo-common bugs, bug tracking and launchpad tags

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 15:20:54 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:28:10PM +0100, Julie Pichon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday Dougal mentioned on IRC that he hadn't realised there was a
> separate project for tripleo-common bugs on Launchpad [1] and that he'd
> been using the TripleO main tracker [2] instead.
>
> Since the TripleO tracker is also used for client bugs (as far as I can
> tell?), and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of tripleo-common
> bugs perhaps it would make sense to also track those in the main
> tracker? If there is a previous conversation or document about bug
> triaging beyond [3] I apologise for missing it (and would love a
> URL!). At the moment it's a bit confusing.

Thanks for raising this, yes there is a bit of a proliferation of LP
projects, but FWIW the only one I'm using to track coordinated milestone
releases for Newton is this one:

https://launchpad.net/tripleo/

> If we do encourage using the same bug tracker for multiple components,
> I think it would be useful to curate a list of official tags [4]. The
> main advantage of doing that is that the tags will auto-complete so
> it'd be easier to keep them consistent (and thus actually useful).

+1 I'm fine with adding tags, but I would prefer that we stopped adding
more LP projects unless the associated repos aren't planned to be part of
the coordinated release (e.g I don't have to track them ;)

> Personally, I wanted to look through open bugs against
> python-tripleoclient but people use different ways of marking them at
> the moment - e.g. [tripleoclient] or [python-tripleoclient] or
> tripleoclient (or nothing?) in the bug name. I tried my luck at adding
> a 'tripleoclient' tag [5] to the obvious ones as an example. Maybe
> something shorter like 'cli', 'common' would make more sense. If there
> are other tags that come back regularly it'd probably be helpful to
> list them explicitly as well.

Sure, well I know that many python-*clients do have separate LP projects,
but in the case of TripleO our client is quite highly coupled to the the
other TripleO pieces, in particular tripleo-common.  So my vote is to
create some tags in the main tripleo project and use that to filter bugs as
needed.

There are two projects we might consider removing, tripleo-common, which
looks pretty much unused and tripleo-validations which was recently added
by the sub-team working on validations.

If folks find either useful then they can stay, but it's going to be easier
to get a clear view on when to cut a release if we track everything
considered part of the tripleo deliverable in one place IMHO.

Thanks,

Steve

> Julie
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo-common