[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Big tent? (Related to Plugins for all)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:12:22 UTC 2016

Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18 2016, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>
>> Thus why I think the starting of the architecture working group is a good
>> thing; because I have a believe that people are forgetting among all of this
>> that such a group holds a lot of the keys to the kingdom (whether u, the
>> reader, want to admit that or not is well the readers problem) in openstack
>> (sorry and no disrespect to independent folks&  contributors), but most of us
>> work for large companies that have architects (and leads) and if those
>> architects (and leads) can get together cross-company to aggregate and (agree
>> on) and solve actual problems then that really is IMHO the only way to keep our
>> projects healthy (assuming we can even do that at this stage).
>
> I think it is a bit naive to think any working group is going to fix
> architectural problems. You know first hand what happened¹ with the Nova
> service group and tooz for example.
>
> ¹  Nothing.

Totally fair, but I still 'somewhat believe' that something good may
come out of this. No I don't have a lot (I can probably count them on
one hand) success stories with regards to this kind of cross-project
work but it's not so easy to pin-point why things happened this way
(without getting into speculation/theorizing territory).