[openstack-dev] [nova] gate "gate-nova-python27-db" is broken due to oslo.context 2.6.0

Ronald Bradford me at ronaldbradford.com
Mon Jul 18 21:22:51 UTC 2016

Hi All,

For Oslo libraries we ensure that API's are backward compatible for 1+ releases.
When an Oslo API adds a new class attribute (as in this example of
is_admin_project and 4 other attributes) added to Oslo Context in
2.6.0,  these are added to ensure this API is also forward compatible
with existing project code for any contract with the base class
instantiation or manipulation.

The issue seen is presently Nova specific (as other projects can
utilize 2.6.0) and it is related to projects that sub-class
oslo.context, and how unit tests are written for using class
parameters.  Ideally, to implement using oslo.context correctly
OpenStack projects should:

* Not perform direct dictionary to dictionary comparisons with the
to_dict() method as this does not support when new attributes at
added. Two patches (one to nova) address this in offending projects
[5][6]
* Unit tests should focus on attributes specific to the sub-classed
signature, e.g. [7].  Oslo context provides an extensive set of unit
tests for base class functionality. This is a wish list item for
projects to implement.

The to_dict() method exists as a convenience method only and is not an
API contract. The resulting set of keys should be used accordingly.
This is why there is no major release version.
There is a note from our discussion in Oslo to improve our
documentation to describe the API use of to_dict() better and state we
will not remove to_dict() keys within a release, but that may happen
between releases.

There is a subsequent problem with how Nova performs a warning test
[8]. Additional reviews are looking at addressing this sub-class usage
of from_dict() and to_dict().

Regards

Ronald

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/343694/,