[openstack-dev] [neutron][qos] Egress minimum bandwidth assurance

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 10:53:21 UTC 2016

Rodolfo <rodolfo.alonso.hernandez at intel.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I’m working in the egress minimum bandwidth assurance qos policy rule.
>
> I made a POC using the following architecture:
> -          Every time a new rule is created and assigned to a port:
> o   A new queue is created in OVS.
> o   Create/update the qos policy (OVS database) in all other ports in
> br-int (assigned to the same vlan), br-tun and br-phy, updating the queue
> value.
> o   Set the queue id to the incoming traffic to the OVS.
> -          Every time rule is updated:
> o   The values are updated in the ovs database.
> -          Every time a rule is unassigned to a port:
> o   The queue is removed from the qos policies. (OVS database)
> o   The OVS rule to set the queue id is removed.
>
> The problem is, based on the neutron extensions API, I can’t make any
> updates in other ports affected by this rule. That means, for example: if
> I create a new port, this port must have also a qos assigned (OVS
> database) using the existing queue. But because the Neutron qos rule
> doesn’t apply to this port, no qos agent function is called and this port
> is not correctly configured.

I am sorry if the question is trivial, but just for my understanding, does
it mean you want to set some queues on ports that have no qos policy
attached? Why is it the case?

Because if the policy IS attached to a port, then qos l2 agent driver will
be triggered for all supported rules, including your new rule, on every
relevant policy/rule change.

I am sure I miss something, so please enlighten me.

Ihar