[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Add an extension "btree_gist" to Postgresql

namnh at vn.fujitsu.com namnh at vn.fujitsu.com
Mon Jul 18 08:14:46 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I am trying to fix a bug that created two subnets on *one* network with
overlap CIDR [1]. My solution is to focus on Database interaction [2].

I am encountering/facing a problem with Postgresql
(There is no problem with MySQL).

For Postgresql, I used a feature called GiST that I strong believe
it can fix this bug. However, this feature needs to be created
an extension "btree_gist" that we have to need "root" permission.
In my point of view, we cannot do this on Neutron
because it only has normal user permission.

Currently, There are two ways that may be fix this issue in my opinion:

1. I will try to find a solution to let Neutron can create an extension
in Postgresql with normal user. But I'm not sure about this yet.

2. I will try to implement a create an extension "btree_gist" during
Postgresql Database setting up when deploying OpenStack.
If so, an "Installation Guide" section must be included.

How do you think about that or do you have any advice?
Any help is very appreciated!

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1532695
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314054/

Thanks,