[openstack-dev] [nova][qa] When do we need tests for microversions in Tempest?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 14 21:40:46 UTC 2016

On 7/14/2016 3:11 AM, GHANSHYAM MANN wrote:
>>> 1. Always add a schema change to Tempest if a microversion changes a
>>> response.
>>
>> The problem with this is we shouldn't land a schema change by itself in tempest.
>> Until we have something using the schema we have no verification that they
>> actually work. We can and will land incorrect schemas if we did this. That's why
>> there is a pretty strong policy of only landing code that is run in CI somewhere
>> for Tempest.
>
> +1, yes we should not add those without testing.

OK, good point on not landing changes that aren't tested. That's pretty
obvious.

For something like this though:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/339559/

The gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full-ssh is testing it indirectly, so I'm
assuming that's OK even though we don't have an explicit test for the
2.3 microversion?

I know the patch needs to be updated for the other extended server
attributes in that microversion, but it's the immediate thing I want to
get fixed so we can get on with making the
gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full-ssh job voting.

Matt Riedemann