[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Making TripleO CI easier to consume outside of TripleO CI

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 12:13:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 3:39 PM, John Trowbridge <trown at redhat.com> wrote:

> Howdy folks,
>
> In the TripleO meeting two weeks ago, it came up that tripleo-quickstart
> is being used as a CI tool in RDO. This came about organically, because
> we needed to use RDO CI to self-gate quickstart (it relies on having a
> baremetal virthost). It displaced another ansible based CI tool there
> (khaleesi) and most(all?) of the extra functionality from that tool
> (upgrades, scale, baremetal, etc.) has been moved into discrete ansible
> roles that are able to plugin to quickstart.[1]
>
> We are still left with two different tool sets, where one should suffice
> (and focus CI efforts in one place).
>
> I see two different ways to resolve this.
>
> 1. Actively work on making the tripleo-ci scripts consumable external to
> tripleo-ci. We have a project in RDO (WeiRDO)[2] that is consuming
> upstream CI for packstack and puppet, so it is not totally far-fetched
> to add support for TripleO jobs.

I think we have to at least point out that RDO is not the only other target
for a CI tool.
There are a few more groups that would benefit from the leadership of the
upstream CI system.  Without
calling out specific groups, I'm thinking of the various OpenStack network
teams, performance teams,
test teams, etc.. that rely on setting up TripleO as the base for their
work. To make things a bit more complicated
there is not a single source of requirements for the various groups that
would benefit from a robust,
flexible upstream TripleO CI tool set.  I'm not convinced that the current
bash scripts can be
reworked or wrapped in a way that can be flexible enough to handle what is
an essentially
unknown set of requirements.

IMHO we require a tool set that is pluggable, composable and flexible
enough such that
other development, and CI teams that rely on TripleO as the base for their
work feel comfortable extending
and replacing parts of the CI tool set to fit their needs.

> Pros:
> - All CI development just happens directly in tripleo-ci and RDO just
> inherits that work.
>
> Cons:
> - This is totally untried, and therefore a totally unknown amount of work.
> - It is all or nothing in that there is no incremental path to get the
> CI scripts working outside of CI.
> - We have to rewrite a bunch of working ansible code in bash which IMO
> is the wrong direction for a modern CI system.
>

> 2. Actively work on making tripleo-ci consume the ansible work in
> tripleo-quickstart and the external role ecosystem around it.
>
> Pros:
> - This could be done incrementally, replacing a single function from
> tripleo.sh with an invocation of tripleo-quickstart that performs that
> function instead.
> - We would be able to pull in a lot of extra functionality via these
> external roles for free(ish).
>
> Cons:
> - Similarly unknown amount of work to completely switch.
> - CI development would be done in multiple repos, though each would have
> discrete and well defined functionality.
>

> Personally, I don't think we should do anything drastic with CI until
> after we release Newton, so we don't add any risk of impacting new
> features that haven't landed yet. I do think it would be a good goal for
> Ocata to have a CI system in TripleO that is consumable outside of
> TripleO. In any case, this email is simply to garner feedback if other's
> think this is a worthy thing to pursue and opinions on how we can get
> there.

+1 here.  I agree there should be enough time for thoughtful conversation
without
disrupting higher priority work.

Thanks for sending this out John!