[openstack-dev] [neutron] Keystone V3 alignment: renaming tenant_id columns to project_id

Henry Gessau HenryG at gessau.net
Tue Jul 12 22:23:19 UTC 2016

In accordance with the Blueprint [1] and the spec [2], we are in the process
of deprecating the use of the term 'tenant' in favor of 'project'.

The code change [3] with the biggest impact on Neutron developers is currently
out for review and will merge quite soon (shortly after N-2). This change
renames all 'tenant_id' columns in the database to 'project_id'.

If you have any changes in flight that touch a tenant_id field, you will be
affected. Please familiarize yourself with [3], rebase on it, and comply with
the changes.

One patch known to be affected is [4].

The column rename change has been designed to have minimal impact on the usage
of 'tenant_id' fields. For now 'tenant_id' is still available as a
key/property in resource dicts and objects, and as an attribute in request
contexts.

In the long run (Ocata or beyond) we want to end up with no usages of the term
'tenant', except in the API for backwards compatibility. Existing usages of
'tenant' in the codebase will be converted to 'project' on a case-by-case
basis. Although the conversion has not yet commenced, any *new* fields,
arguments, variables, etc. with 'tenant' in the name will no longer be accepted.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/keystone-v3
[2]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/newton/moving-to-keystone-v3.html
[3] https://review.openstack.org/335786