[openstack-dev] [puppet] Request to add puppet-dpdk module

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 11:45:02 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 2:33 AM, Saravanan KR <skramaja at redhat.com> wrote:
> Also, there is a repository networking-ovs-dpdk[1] for all the dpdk
> related changes including puppet. We considered both (puppet-vswitch
> and networking-ovs-dpdk).
>
> And we had chat with Emilien about this. His suggestion is to have it
> as a separate project to make the modules cleaner like 'puppet-dpdk'.

Right, either way would work for me with a slight preference for 1):
1) Try to re-use openstack/puppet-vswitch to add dpdk bits (could be fast)
2) Move your module to Puppet OpenStack tent (lot of process)

Looking at the code:
https://github.com/krsacme/puppet-dpdk/blob/master/manifests/config.pp

I honestly thing option 1) is simpler for everyone. You could add a
vswitch::dpdk class in puppet-vswitch with your bits, and that's it.

What do you think?

> Regards,
> Saravanan KR
>
> [1] https://github.com/openstack/networking-ovs-dpdk
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 2:36 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Saravanan KR <skramaja at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are working on blueprint [1] to integrate DPDK with tripleo. In the
>>> process, we are planning to add a new puppet module "puppet-dpdk" for the
>>> required puppet changes.
>>>
>>> The initial version of the repository is at github [2]. Note that the
>>> changes are
>>> not
>>> complete yet. It is in progress.
>>>
>>> Please let us know your views on including this new module.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Saravanan KR
>>>
>>> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/tripleo-ovs-dpdk
>>> [2] https://github.com/krsacme/puppet-dpdk
>>

>> I took a quick look at Emilien's request.  In general, including this
>> functionality in the puppet openstack project makes sense to me.
>>
>> It looks like this is installing and configuring openvswitch-dpdk.  Have you
>> considered integrating DPDK awareness into the existing puppet-vswitch that
>> configures openvswitch?  Why is a separate puppet-dpdk needed?
>>
>> --
>> Russell Bryant

Emilien Macchi