[openstack-dev] [grenade] upgrades vs rootwrap

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Jul 6 16:50:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 06:20:30PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Matthew Treinish wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Am I missing something else here?
> >
> > Well, for better or worse rootwrap filters are put in /etc and treated like a
> > config file. What you're essentially saying is that it shouldn't be config and
> > just be in code. I completely agree with that being what we want eventually, but
> > it's not how we advertise it today.
>
> Well, some (most ?) distros ship them as code rather than configuration,
> under /usr/share rather than under /etc. So one may argue that the issue is
> that devstack is installing them under /etc :)

Devstack doesn't do anything special here, it just uses the project defaults.
For most cases that's what devstack strives to do that wherever possible. Your
issue is with nova and pretty much everything using rootwrap then. The fact that
most distros do this is just further indication that how we have things setup
today is the wrong way to handle this.

-Matt Treinish