[openstack-dev] [magnum][heat] Global stack-list for Magnum service user

Johannes Grassler jgrassler at suse.de
Mon Jul 4 11:58:57 UTC 2016

Hello,

Thanks for the exhaustive comment on the issue. Won't help much in the short
term, but it's good to see there will eventually be a way to sort this out
properly!

On 07/04/2016 12:50 PM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 11:43:47AM +0200, Johannes Grassler wrote:
[Magnum's global stack-list versus Heat's policy.json]

> Yes, this sort of problem is the reason we disabled global_index by
> default[1] - because of the somewhat notorious keystone bug #968696[2], we
> could not create a default rule which correctly communicated that this
> should be a cloud-admin only action.
>
> So, instead of creating an insecure-by-default rule, we disabled it for
> everybody, so that deployers could make an explicit choice about how to
> enable access to this potentially sensitive API.

Ok, that's fair enough.

>> | stacks:global_index: "role:service",
[...]
> I don't think this is feasible, because it implies a level of admin-ness
> for service users that I think isn't desirable (even it if may be the
> status-quo, I don't personally think trusting all services to have global
> access to heat by default is a good model from a security isolation
> perspective).

Yes...also, it just shifts the problem as Pavlo pointed out: an admin user can
just assign themselves the 'service' role in their own tenant. So that's no
advantage over using role:admin :-)

[...]

> So, in summary, I think we should fix our integration with the new keystone
> is_admin_project stuff, then potentially switch the global_index to use the
> is_admin rule as defined by our policy.json.

Indeed, that sounds a lot better.

> Then, you'd just need to add the magnum service user to whatever project is
> defined in keystone as being the admin project, but it would not require
> exposing this API to every other service by default.
>
> Hope that helps!

Definitely does, thanks!

Cheers,

Johannes

--
Johannes Grassler, Cloud Developer
SUSE Linux GmbH, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)