[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] When to purge the DB, and when not to purge the DB?

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Sat Jul 2 15:35:47 UTC 2016

> The question is whether we should do something like this:
>
> 1) As part of the normal execution of the service playbooks;
> 2) As part of the automated major upgrade (i.e. The step is not optional);
> 3) As part of the manual major upgrade (i.e. The step is optional);
> 4) Never.

I am not an operator, but I would think that #4 is the right thing to
do. If I want to purge the database, it's going to be based on billing
reasons (or lack thereof) and be tied to another archival, audit, etc
policy that the "business people" are involved with. Install and
configuration of my services shouldn't really ever touch my data other
than mechanical upgrade scripts and the like, IMHO.

Purging the database only during upgrades is not sufficient for large
installs, so why artificially tie it to that process? In Nova we don't
do data migrations as part of schema updates anymore, so it's not like a
purge is going to make the upgrade any faster...

--Dan