[openstack-dev] [Nova] Deprecated Configuration Option in Nova Mitaka Release

HU, BIN bh526r at att.com
Sat Jul 2 07:22:00 UTC 2016

Thank you Matt and Armando for additional background information, and offer to help us. We really appreciate it.

Let me explain our requirement a bit.

We are telco operators, and we are moving toward NFV domain, which is a whole new domain of business and technology. New domain means 2 folds

-          Brand new business opportunities and market segments

-          Brand new technologies that need exploration and experiment, especially in NFV networking.

NFV brings opportunities, which also means new challenges. For example, there are new NFV networking use cases today, such as MPLS and L3VPN. But more importantly, because of the **green field** nature of NFV, we foresee there will be whole new NFV networking use cases (that bring new business) in near future. And the challenge to us is to:

-          Quickly catch the business opportunity

-          Execute it in agile way so that we can accelerate the time-to-market and improve our business agility in offering our customers with those new NFV services.

“Interoperability” is always our favorite term. Being an operator, we know how important the interoperability is. Without interoperability, there is no global mobile network for users to have one device and connect anywhere.

However, in a **green field** of NFV, when the services and technologies is being developed, and every service provider is offering diversified, innovative services and brings to the customers in an agile way, “interoperability” is not a top priority at this moment IMHO. Quick development and deployment, time-to-market and business agility is the key to grow everyone’s business in the **green field**. When NFV services get stabilized at later stage, then we need to emphasize the “interoperability” at that time.

All of the background brings an interesting challenge to Nova and Neutron too – how can we better balance the need of interoperability (i.e. tight control) v.s. the need of penetrating new market opportunity of NFV green field (i.e. wild west)?

That is why we developed Gluon, a model-driven, extensible framework for NFV networking services. This framework aims to:

-          Work with and interoperate with Neutron for any existing networking services that Neutron is supporting today

-          Provides extensibility to support new, unknown NFV networking services in green field in an agile way, i.e. NFV networking on-demand.

Think about early days of Nova networking, everything was exploratory and experimental. It gets matured over time. In a green field of NFV networking, we need exploration and experiment too, because it encourages innovation. When a NFV service gets matured, we focus on its interoperability then.

We are looking forward to working with Nova and Neutron team to consolidate Gluon with Nova and Neutron. The goal is to

-          Make sure current interoperability model of stable APIs and services will keep as is

-          Make sure current networking services and ongoing effort supported by Neutron will keep going as is

-          Allow an extensibility model/framework (Gluon), which can connect with Nova and Neutron too, for us to explore the green field in NFV networking services and business in an agile way, and meet the time-to-market need, because of its **unknown* nature of new, innovative services in NFV green field

-          Whenever NFV networking services and business get stabilized and matured, turn it to interoperability model for those stable APIs and services as we are currently doing

Let me know what you think and we are looking forward to working with you.

Thanks
Bin