[openstack-dev] [release] the meaning of the release:managed tag now that everything is released:managed

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Jul 1 18:18:13 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2016-07-01 13:50:30 +0000:
> On 2016-07-01 11:24:27 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Short answer is: release:managed doesn't mean that much anymore (all
> > official projects are "managed"), so we'll likely retire it ASAP.
> [...]
>
> If the meaning has been reduced to "this project is allowed to
> request tagging by the Release Management team" then I agree it's no
> longer necessary since any official project _can_ do that. If the
> meaning is "this project is _only_ allowed to be tagged by the
> Release Management team" then I can still see some use for it, since
> there are plenty of official projects that currently follow their
> own independent release process and push their own tags instead.

I've been telling folks throughout this cycle that we weren't going to
add the "managed" tag to any new projects because we were considering
redefining the tag and we would want to do that first. While discussing
how to redefine it, we realized its meaning is now covered by other
tags, so we've proposed to drop it instead [1].

The "release:managed" tag used to convey information about how much
the release team did for the project team in a way that was (we
hoped) useful to consumers of the project. That included things we
no longer do at all for anyone, like update bug milestones and
upload artifacts to launchpad, as well as things that are now encoded
in the other release tags like "perform the tagging of the release".

At the start of this cycle we updated the gerrit ACLs so that all
projects using a cycle-with* release model *must* have the release
team process their releases (if we have any such projects who we
missed, or who were added later and not updated, we need to fix
that). Projects using the independent release model may process
their own releases or may ask the release team to do it. Either
way, since those projects are by definition not part of the cycle
releases we don't consider it "interesting" to their consumers to
say who is actually doing the releases (feedback on that assumption
is of course welcome).

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/335440/