[openstack-dev] [nova][infra][ci] bulk repeating a test job on a single review in parallel ?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jul 1 14:35:34 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-01 15:39:10 +0200 (+0200), Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> [Snip description of some nice debugging.]
>
> > I'd really love it if there was
> >
> >  1. the ability to request checking of just specific jobs eg
> >
> >       "recheck gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-full"
>
> Yes, this would really be desirable.  I recall once asking this exact
> question on #openstack-infra, but can't find Infra team's response to
> that.

The challenge here is that you want to make sure it can't be used to
recheck individual jobs until you have them all passing (like
picking a pin and tumbler lock). The temptation to recheck-spam
nondeterministically failing changes is already present, but this
would make it considerably easier still for people to introduce new
nondeterministic failures in projects. Maybe if it were tied to a
special pipeline type, and then we set it only for the experimental
pipeline or something?

> >  2. the ability to request this recheck to run multiple
> >     times in parallel. eg if i just repeat the 'recheck'
> >     command many times on the same patchset # without
> >     waiting for results
>
> Yes, this too, would be _very_ useful for all the reasons you described.
[...]

In the past we've discussed the option of having an "idle pipeline"
which repeatedly runs specified jobs only when there are unused
resources available, so that it doesn't significantly cut into our
resource pool when we're under high demand but still allows to
automatically collect a large amount of statistical data.

Anyway, hopefully James Blair can weigh in on this, since Zuul is
basically in a feature freeze for a while to limit the number of
significant changes we'll need to forward-port into the v3 branch.
We'd want to discuss these new features in the context of Zuul v3
instead.
--
Jeremy Stanley