[openstack-dev] [Nova] Deprecated Configuration Option in Nova Mitaka Release

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jul 1 12:59:07 UTC 2016

On 06/30/2016 01:55 PM, HU, BIN wrote:
> I see, and thank you very much Dan. Also thank you Markus for unreleased release notes.
>
> Now I understand that it is not a plugin and unstable interface. And there is a new "use_neutron" option for configuring Nova to use Neutron as its network backend.
>
> When we use Neutron, there are ML2 and ML3 plugins so that we can choose to use different backend providers to actually perform those network functions. For example, integration with ODL.
>
> Shall we foresee a situation, where user can choose another network backend directly, e.g. ODL, ONOS? Under this circumstance, a stable plugin interface seems needed which can provide end users with more options and flexibility in deployment.
>
> What do you think?

Neutron is the network API that we've agreed to in OpenStack, and have
worked towards for years. Network backends should exist behind the
OpenStack Network API (Neutron).

If there are challenges in that software stack, then there is an
upstream community to engage there to work with to get what you need out
of that stack. I'd highly recommend that you do so sooner rather than
later on that front.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague