[openstack-dev] [stable][ceilometer][all] stable/kilo 2015.1.3 delayed

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jan 29 18:27:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-29 14:14:48 +0000 (+0000), gordon chung wrote:
> trying to understand the situation here. isn't this all managed by
> global-reqs? an incompatible pip and pbr were release so now we
> can't build? were we the only project using downloadcache (i don't
> recall us doing anything unique in our tox file)?

The tox.ini for Ceilometer stable/kilo was adding a downloadcache
inherited by all its environments which caused tox to add
--download-cache to all pip install invocations. While deprecated in
pip 6 (and removed from the tox.ini during the Liberty cycle), this
worked up until pip 8 dropped that option from its command-line
parser. Due to unfortunate timing, the last commit on stable/liberty
was tested with pip 7 and merged, but the 2015.1.2 tag for that
commit was pushed after pip 8 was released and so tox was no longer
able to work with the tagged commit.

A number of workarounds were tried, but ultimately the explicit
addition of -U (upgrade) to pip calls in tox.ini prevented my
attempts to temporarily pin to earlier versions of pip within the
calling script.

> i would prefer a release to be made as there was a performance
> backport made. what is the effort required to push tarball
> generated outside of jenkins? any drawbacks?
[...]

The steps followed by tox could be emulated manually, with the
addition of forcing a pip 7 install, and the result would then be
copied via scp to tarballs.openstack.org by one of our Infra root
admins. The drawbacks mostly come down to needing to apply some
additional scrutiny to the generated tarball before pronouncing it
viable, and the need to place trust in a manual process slightly
inconsistent with our usual sdist generation mechanisms.
--
Jeremy Stanley