[openstack-dev] [telemetry][ceilometer] New project: collectd-ceilometer-plugin

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Fri Jan 29 16:00:16 UTC 2016

On 28/01/2016 2:32 AM, Foley, Emma L wrote:
> So, metrics are grouped by the type of resource they use, and each metric has to be listed.
> Grouping isn't a problem, but creating an exhaustive list might be, since there are 100+ plugins [1] in collectd which can provide statistics, although not all of these are useful, and some require extensive configuration. The plugins each provide multiple metrics, and each metric can be duplicated for a number of instances, examples: [2].
>
> Collectd data is minimal: timestamp and volume, so there's little room to find interesting meta data.
> It would be nice to see this support integrated, but it might be very tedious to list all the metric names and group by resource type without any form of
> Do the resource definitions support wildcards? Collectd can provide A LOT of metrics.
>
> Regards,
> Emma
>
> [1] https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Table_of_Plugins
> [2] https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Naming_schema

gnocchi is strongly typed when compared to classical ceilometer db where
you can dump anything and everything. we don't support wildcards as is
but i believe it's something we can aim to support?

Mehdi is currently in process of implementing dynamic resources which
would give more flexiblity on what type of data we can store in Gnocchi.
i believe from ceilometer pov, we can add support to allow wildcard
support in regards to adding new metrics.

cheers,

--
gord