[openstack-dev] [telemetry][ceilometer] New project: collectd-ceilometer-plugin

Foley, Emma L emma.l.foley at intel.com
Fri Jan 29 15:48:55 UTC 2016

> So, metrics are grouped by the type of resource they use, and each metric has to be listed.
> Grouping isn't a problem, but creating an exhaustive list might be,
> since there are 100+ plugins [1] in collectd which can provide
> statistics, although not all of these are useful, and some require
> extensive configuration. The plugins each provide multiple metrics,
> and each metric can be duplicated for a number of instances, examples: [2].
>
> Collectd data is minimal: timestamp and volume, so there's little room to find interesting meta data.
> It would be nice to see this support integrated, but it might be very
> tedious to list all the metric names and group by resource type without any form of Do the resource definitions support wildcards? Collectd can provide A LOT of metrics.

One also has to put into balance the upside of going through Ceilometer, as Gnocchi has direct support for statsd:

  http://gnocchi.xyz/statsd.html

Supporting statsd would require some more investigation, as collectd's statsd plugin supports reading stats from the system, but not writing them.
         Also, what are the usage figures for gnocchi? How many people use it, and how easy is it to convert existing deployments to use gnocchi? I mean, if someone was upgrading, would their data be preserved?
         How easy is it to consume gnocchi statistics using an external system/application?
         I'm not against the idea, but it requires a little more consideration.

Regards,
Emma

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263