[openstack-dev] [tripleo] use mitaka CI tested repo

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 14:40:52 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 08:17 -0500, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering why don't we use Mitaka CI tested repository [1].
> IIRC, TripleO is currently using a snapshot which is updated
> asynchronously by TripleO CI folks.
> The problem is that we're not consistent with what RDO CI is testing.
> In
> my memory and tell me if I'm wrong but it happens we're using an old
> snapshot of packages which is older that is actually tested &
> verified
> by RDO CI.
>
> The benefit of using this tested repo would be:
> * this repository is already gated by Weirdo [2] which is running the
> same jobs as Puppet OpenStack CI.
> * you would not have less jobs failures, because RDO CI would have
> detected bugs before.
> * tripleo folks could focus a bit more on features & bugfixes in
> TripleO
> itself, rather than debugging CI issues and slowing down the review
> process.
> * Puppet OpenStack CI became really stable since we're using this
> repository. We have a very few number of issues since then.
>
> Though, something I don't like in my proposal:
> * tripleo would not bring short feedback to RDO folks if something is
> broken
>
> But is TripleO supposed to debug other projects in the same time?
> Don't
> we have enough challenges in our project?
>
> This would be a temporary solution I think, until TripleO would be
> part
> of other upstream project gate (nova, etc) maybe one day.
> But at this time, I honestly think TripleO (which is an installer)
> folks, spend too much time at debugging CI for some reasons that are
> related to projects outside tripleo (puppet modules, openstack bugs,
> packaging issues, etc).
>
> This is just a proposal and an idea to help TripleO folks to focus on
> their review process, instead of debugging CI failures every week.

The problem I think is largly due to the fact that the RDO CI doesn't
test the same things we do in the TripleO CI. It is essentially a
different CI system.

Because the CI systems are different different breakages happen when
you try to update one component vs. another. This is why we have to
maintain 'current-tripleo' separately between RDO and TripleO.

I agree it would be nice if we could consolidate on a single repository
across these projects. It would allow us to focus on review more...
(less CI fixing).

Perhaps a test matrix comparing the two CI systems would help us get
them closer to parity with what is covered. Even better would be just
simply contributing to the same CI systems and scripts.

Dan