[openstack-dev] [puppet] let's start using reno

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 21:25:00 UTC 2016

Last month, we decided [1] to give a try to reno, the release management
tool in OpenStack.

During the sprint, I worked with Doug to make it happen.
We have now reno in place for puppet-keystone:
http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/puppet-keystone/

What are the next steps:
* our puppet-keystone contributors might want to learn about reno,
specially how to write a note [2]. I wrote an example here [3].

* for each bugfix, new feature or relevant patch that needs to be
documented, our contributors can add a note here [4]. When the patch
will be merged, the release note will automatically appear online.

* if you don't add a note, because you are not aware about this process,
because you don't "have time" to do it, we won't block your patch. We'll
review it as any other patch, but we'll gently drop a comment about
adding a note for the next time. I'll watch the commits in
puppet-keystone and make sure our notes are ready for Mitaka release by
the end of the cycle.
Again, we don't enforce anyone to do it, we just try to educate our
contributors and get some feedback to know if reno is helping us.

Just for information, writing a release note for each module takes on
average 30 minutes minimum. We have around 30 repositories. It's about
15 hours of work for each release. I'm sure our group will be helpful
and understand this new process.

Any feedback, question, concern, opinion is highly welcome,

Thanks,

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/081771.html
[2]