[openstack-dev] [api] service type vs. project name for use in headers

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 14:50:22 UTC 2016

On 01/28/2016 06:32 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> Couldn't agree more, Chris.
>
> -jay
>
> On 01/28/2016 11:06 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Dean Troyer wrote:
>>
>>> I think we would be better served in selecting these things thinking
>>> about
>>> the API consumers first.  We already have  enough for them to wade
>>> through,
>>> the API-WG is making great gains in herding those particular cats, I
>>> would
>>> hate to see giving back some of that here.
>>
>> I think it is high time we resolve the question of whether the
>> api-wg guidelines are evaluating existing behaviors in OpenStack and
>> blessing the best or providing aspirational guidelines of practices
>> which are considered best at a more universal level.
>>
>> Within the group many of our debates pivot around the above issue.
>> There is some fear that if we choose the latter none of the
>> guidelines will be followed.
>>
>> I think that's pretty weak sauce and we need to take both a more
>> assertive and more aggressive stance with regard to achieving
>> quality and consistency in the APIs[1]. Reaching consistency is the
>> primary mission of the group but consistent crap is still crap and
>> our API consumers deserve better.
>>
>> The thread about Ekko which has spawned a subthread about the
>> collision between the ceilometer and monasca APIs should be a
>> good learning moment™: Having some rigor and vision in our
>> guidelines would allow us to state things like:
>>
>> * The APIs are services (for which there could potentially be other
>>    implementations but the service represents a namespace)
>> * Identifiers used in that service are service related, not project
>>    related.
>> * More specifically: URIs are signifiers of a service, not a project.
>>
>> The guidelines should be one (of several) ways in which a project
>> can ask itself "are we being OpenStack?". If there is a collision
>> with the guidelines, that provides a clue that the thing being
>> considered is out of alignment. It should be an excuse to change or
>> create new guidelines.
>>
>>> In this case, the use of service type as the primary identifier for
>>> endpoints and API services is well established, and is how the service
>>> catalog has and will always work.
>>
>> For the specific issue of the headers, I think the above is the crux of
>> the biscuit. The service catalog is intended to be a source of truth;
>> that truth should be reflected in the guidelines. If the API being
>> considered isn't (planned to be) in the service catalog does that
>> API need to even be thinking about adhering to OpenStack guidelines?
>>
>> [1] Choosing to be more rigorous in the guidelines puts a large
>> burden on the group to not simply rubberstamp incoming guidelines
>> and also be more selective about what actually matters in terms of
>> the guidelines. This is challenging because it became clear early on
>> that adherence to correct HTTP in existing APIs was weak and there
> [...]

i agree as well Chris, and well said.

thanks to everyone for commenting on this issue. i agree with the
sentiments that are being voiced here, and i think the arguments for
sticking to service type make a good deal of sense.

my main concern was that there had been some pushback on the idea of
service type for headers. i like the notion that we are hewing closer to
the service catalog ideals, that makes good sense to me. i just wanted
to leave room for projects to make their own path if necessary, i guess
this option is always there by default.

again, thanks for the insights. i will back off my concerns on the
outstanding reviews based on this issue, and work towards helping us
stay closer to service type for the guidelines.

regards,
mike