[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Should we have a TripleO API, or simply use Mistral?

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 09:22:50 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:22:54AM -0500, Dan Prince wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 09:36 -0500, Dan Prince wrote:

> > > I am not sure I understand the argument here.
> > >
> > > Regardless of which API we use (Mistral API or TripleO API) GUI is
> > > going
> > > to call the API and tripleoclient (CLI) is going to call the API
> > > (through mistralclient - impl. detail).
> > >
> > > GUI can't and does not call API through tripleoclient. This is why
> > > the
> > > work on extracting the common business logic to tripleo-common
> > > happened.
> > > So tripleo-common is the place which holds the business logic.
> > >
> > > The proposed API (in the spec) is supposed only to work as a thin
> > > layer
> > > that provides the tripleo-common functionality.
> > >

> > > Most of the operations we do in TripleO are workflows that consists
> > > of
> > > several requests to various OpenStack services, e.g. Nodes
> > > Introspection, deployment progress tracking, etc. Mistral fits as a
> > > best
> > > tool to use to manage this and provides an API that can be used
> > > directly
> > > by both CLI and GUI. The work involved is just about turning
> > > tripleo-common into Mistral Actions.
> > > Alternatives are to create TripleO API and implement our own
> > > custom
> > > workflows (reinvent the Mistral wheel) as part of  tripleo-common.
> > > Or
> > > Shield the Mistral API behind a very thin TripleO API. Which in my
> > > opinion is not worth it and just adds new layer to the project
> > > (GUI/CLI
> > >  > TripleO API > mistralclient > Mistral API > tripleo-common
> > > actions)
> > >
> > > But there are also some operations that do not require a workflow.
> > > Such
> > > as listing available environments, posting the parameter values
> > > and
> > > storing them in temporary environment... In those cases the Mistral
> > > API
> > > does not work as good as TripleO API because Mistral API is able
> > > start a workflow but is not able to take a request and return an
> > > immediate response to that request.
> >
> > What I did in my demo/prototype was to just use Mistral's generic API
> > to update the environment directly. The things we want to store in
> > the
> > environment are actually quite simple:
> >
> >  -container name (for heat templates)
> >  -set of selected heat environments
> >  -extra parameters
> >  -cached things to help UI select these things like a capabilities
> > map
> >
> > Last time we talked on there was interest in creating an "interface"
> > around managing creating/updating/deleting these things... and I
> > suggested we could use a workflow to do it just the same.
> >
> > That isn't my preference, I'm fine with defining these as a loose
> > data
> > structure (a set of properties really). If we do it that we you can
> [...]

As a first step, I should point out that heat already supports Zaqar for
event notification, via a simple addition to the heat environment:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/environment.html#retrieving-events

So, it might make sense as an interim step to not poll for events from the
heat stack while the deployment workflow is executing - we could just get
events via Zaqar instead (which will probably be a lot more efficient).

For example, here's some test code showing waiting for a completion event
via websocket and Zaqar (thanks therve!):

https://gist.github.com/therve/9c7c762d3eb81b076be4

Sorry, this is a bit OT from this thread, but I wanted to point out we do
have some Zaqar integration already (just not yet directly in Mistral AIUI)

Steve