[openstack-dev] Announcing Ekko -- Scalable block-based backup for OpenStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 08:53:55 UTC 2016

On 01/28/2016 06:03 AM, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
> The TC set precedent in this first competition-induced review which is
> worth a good read for other projects thinking of competing with existing
> projects of which there are already plenty in OpenStack..
>
> https://review.openstack.org/206789

Steven, my point in this thread is not about competition within a
problem domain. It was specifically about overlapping REST API resource
endpoints.

Kolla does not have a REST API.

Neither does Triple-O. Or OSAD. Or Puppet OpenStack. Or the OpenStack
Chef Cookbooks.

So, I am failing to see that the above governance patch is indeed a
precedent for this conversation. Rather, it was the governance patch
that added Monasca as an official OpenStack project that I brought up
the problem of the Monasca's API overlap with the OpenStack Telemetry
API (which was Ceilometer's API at the time):

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/213183/

It was Joe Gordon and others who advised that there was nothing in the
project acceptance criteria that mentioned a lack of API overlap as a
condition for inclusion.

I think there should definitely be some requirement added to the project
acceptance criteria, but I'm in the minority it seems in this thinking.

Best,
-jay