[openstack-dev] [Neutron][L3] Orphaned process cleanup

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Wed Jan 27 21:10:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

I started poking a bit at https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1535661

We have radvd processes that the l3 agent launches, and if the l3 agent
is terminated these radvd processes continue to run. I think we should
probably terminate them when the l3 agent is terminated, like if we are
in DevStack and doing an unstack.sh[1]. There's a fix on the DevStack
side but I'm waffling a bit on if it's the right thing to do or not[2].

The only concern I have is if there are situations where the l3 agent
terminates, but we don't want data plane disruption. For example, if
something goes wrong and the L3 agent dies, if the OS will be sending a
SIGABRT (which my WIP patch doesn't catch[3] and radvd would continue to run) or if a
SIGTERM is issued, or worse, an OOM event occurs (I think thats a
SIGTERM too?) and you get an outage.

[1]: https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/lib/neutron-legacy#L767

[2]: https://review.openstack.org/269560

[3]: https://review.openstack.org/273228