[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Stabilization cycles: Elaborating on the idea to move it forward

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 12:46:41 UTC 2016

On 27/01/16 11:00 +0000, Kuvaja, Erno wrote:
> [...]

So, I think what confused most people in the thread is the title itself. The
title is Stabilization Cycles but it really means "clean up the mess we have in
the code base.... including bugs". We can't address technical debt in stable
branches other than bug fixes. Refactors are rejected and, of course, no
breaking changes allowed.

While your thoughts are correct, as we should encourage more folks to contribute
to stable branches and fix bugs there, it's true that there are not enough
people in every project to keep master moving forward and focusing on bugs for
master *and* stable branches at the same time. Ideally, most of that
"Stabilization" work should be backported to stable branches as well.

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco