[openstack-dev] OpenStack installer

Gyorgy Szombathelyi gyorgy.szombathelyi at doclerholding.com
Wed Jan 27 09:01:32 UTC 2016

> On 01/26/2016 11:32 AM, Gyorgy Szombathelyi wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I just want to announce a new installer for OpenStack:
> > https://github.com/DoclerLabs/openstack
> > It is GPLv3, uses Ansible (currently 1.9.x,  2.0.0.2 has some bugs which has
> to be resolved), has lots of components integrated (of course there are
> missing ones).
> > Goal was simplicity and also operating the cloud, not just installing it.
> > We started with Rackspace's openstack-ansible, but found it a bit complex
> with the containers. Also it didn't include all the components we required, so
> started this project.
> > Feel free to give it a try! The documentation is sparse, but it'll improve with
> time.
> > (Hope you don't consider it as an advertisement, we don't want to sell this,
> just wanted to share our development).
> >
> > Br,
> > György
> >

> Hi,

Hi Michael,

> What do you mean by "complex with the containers"? Is the mere fact of
> containers usage a complex thing for you or the problem is in some
> implementation details around it?

I don't see the benefits containerizing every OpenStack component. Installing them from
packages, and run them in a physical host is the way how Linux systems worked for
years, it still works for us.

> And did you have a chance to check the Kolla project? It uses Ansible too, but
> the difference is that Kolla uses Docker containers and openstack-ansible
> uses "raw" LXC.
I read about it, I didn't check it personally. My personal concern about Dockerizing
OpenStack that now the whole infrastructure depends an a docker daemon. But maybe
I am wrong, I'm not an expert in this field.

> Cheers,
> Michal

Br,
György