[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Plugins] How do avoid duplicated links in the dashboard?

Simon Pasquier spasquier at mirantis.com
Tue Jan 26 16:23:24 UTC 2016

Hi all,

In the scope of the LMA plugins, we've played with the new ability to
insert links in the Fuel dashboard. This works fine from the UI standpoint
except that to avoid creating duplicate links we've come up with a solution
that is intricate and brittle IMO.
Basically we have an exec resource that sends a POST request to the Fuel
API and creates a "sentinel" file on the local filesystem if it succeeds
[1]. If the Puppet manifest is re-executed later on, the exec resource
won't be applied again if that file exists.
The problem arises when the node that created the link is re-provisioned or
replaced since it will generate duplicated links eventually.
Have someone find a better way to manage this?

Regards,
Simon

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/fuel-plugin-elasticsearch-kibana/blob/b85348aa964964f47dad1b08438e2d803ff20544/deployment_scripts/puppet/manifests/provision_services.pp#L38-L43