[openstack-dev] Announcing Ekko -- Scalable block-based backup for OpenStack

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Tue Jan 26 15:28:37 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/26/2016 02:47 AM, Sam Yaple wrote:
>
>> Hello Fausto,
>>
>> I am happy to have a conversation about this with you and the Freezer
>> team. I have a feeling the current direction of Ekko will add many
>> components that will not be needed for Freezer and vice-versa.
>> Nevertheless, I am all about community!
>>

> My personal request is that the two contributor communities do everything
> in their power to ensure that the REST API endpoints are not overlapping.
> The last thing we need is to have two APIs for performing backups that are
> virtually identical to each other.

The way I see this situation is the same as asking Ekko to integrate with
cinder-backup because they perform backups that are "virtually identical"
to each other. They aren't actually related at all, other than perhaps an
API call that says 'backup'. Actual implementation and end results are
wildly different. So my question would be, how would you go about solving
that situation? I could absolutely get on board with sharing an API and
even scheduler, but Ekko and Freezer are two distinct projects solving
different issues with different infrastructure requirements and I am not
aware of anyway to share APIs between projects other than merging the
projects.