[openstack-dev] [TripleO] add support for other types of virtual switches in os_net_config

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 14:09:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 16:05 -0800, Xin Wu wrote:
> Hi, all
>
>      This is Xin from Big Switch. I'm proposing to make os_net_config
> support more types of virtual switches.
>      Current os_net_config supports ovs_bridge, linux_bridge and
> different types of interfaces associated with ovs and linux bridge.
> Current os_net_config's abstraction is perfect to support other types
> of virtual switches as well. The examples off the top of my head
> are indigo virtual switch and Cisco n1k.

++

What you are proposing here sounds reasonable especially if the
abstractions we have today are a good fit to help configure the virtual
switches.

Just note that we typically run os-net-config locally on each node to
configure interfaces, bridges, and bonds locally. So long as this works
for all the virtual switch configuration too then os-net-config might
be a good place to implement this functionality.

Here are some examples of how we drive os-net-config with Heat today:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/tree/net
work/config

Dan