[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Stop deployment can break production cluster. How we should avoid it?

Dmitry Pyzhov dpyzhov at mirantis.com
Fri Jan 22 10:45:21 UTC 2016

Guys,

There is a tricky bug with our 'stop deployment' feature:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1529691

It cannot be fixed easily because it is a design flaw. By design we cannot
leave a node in unpredictable state. So we move all nodes that are not in
ready state back to bootstrap.

But when user adding a node and deploying cluster system reruns puppet on
controllers. If user press 'stop' button controllers will be erased.
Cluster will be destroyed. Definitely this is not expected behaviour.

Taking into account that we are going to rewrite this feature in 9.0 and we
are close to HCF there is no value in major changes for this feature in
8.0. Let's do a simple workaround.

We can mark a cluster 'operational' after successful deployment. And we can
disable 'stop' button on this kind of clusters.

Any concerns or other proposals?