[openstack-dev] [cinder] Testing Cinder upgrades - c-bak upgrade

Li, Xiaoyan xiaoyan.li at intel.com
Thu Jan 21 02:11:31 UTC 2016

@ DuncanT and @dule:

I noticed from IRC log that you are discussing about c-bak upgrade, and I am working on this, please see following message. Hope I don't miss anything.

As you know, currently c-bak and c-vol are in same nodes. c-bak depends on c-vol service.

But it is not necessary that all c-vols needs to be upgraded before c-backs.

The sequences can be random. As described in the patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/269412/,
when c-api decides which c-bak service to create/restore, it checks the version of c-vol. If c-vol is new version, find a c-bak in new version.
If c-vol is in old version, find a c-bak in old version.

Let's us think a real case. Customers upgrade c-api, c-sch, and start to upgrade c-vol and c-bak.
There are two c-vol services c-vol1 and c-vol2, and two c-bak services c-bak1 and c-bak2.
There are four typical upgrade sequences as following.
Meanwhile, please notice that c-vol and c-bak are in same nodes in Liberty. So during upgrades, if c-vol went down to upgrade, c-bak is also down.

1. c-vol1->c-bak1->c-vol2->c-bak2
The only insufficiency is when c-vol1 upgrades, and other c-bak services haven't upgraded, the request to create/restore backups from/to volumes in c-vol1 will fail with reason "no valid c-bak service
found". It is acceptable, as it is similar to scenario in Liberty: c-vol active and c-bak fails.

2. c-vol1->c-vol2->c-bak1->c-bak2
Before c-bak1 upgrades, no back request can be completed as no active c-bak services. This is reasonable.

3. c-bak1->c-vol1->c-bak2->c-vol2:
The issue is when c-bak2 upgrades, the request to create/restore backups from/to volumes in c-vol2 will fail with reason c-vol not active. This is consistent with behaviors in Liberty.

4. c-bak1->c-bak2->c-vol1->c-vol2:
Before c-vol1 upgrades, no back request can be completed as c-vol services not active This is reasonable.

Best wishes
Lisa