[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving deprecated options identification and documentation

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Wed Jan 20 10:04:53 UTC 2016

Ronald Bradford <me at ronaldbradford.com> wrote on 01/15/2016 03:04:29 AM:

> From: Ronald Bradford <me at ronaldbradford.com>
> Date: 01/15/2016 03:05 AM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving deprecated options
> identification and documentation
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01/14/2016 11:45 AM, Ronald Bradford wrote:
> >>
> >> Presently the oslo.config Opt class has the attributes
> >> deprecated_for_removal and deprecated_reason [1]
> >>
> >> I would like to propose that we use deprecated_reason (at a minimum)
> >> detail in what release an option was deprecated in, and what release
it
> >> is then removed in.
> >

> > You mean what release it *will* be removed in, right? Clearly, once
it's
> > removed, there won't be any indication it ever existed ;)
> >

> Yes, in what release it is to be removed, e.g. Mitaka.  So when is
> that release cycle, i.e. now once removed there is no record.

The information at which point in time a removal will happen can be
derived from a combination of:
* the "Deprecation Notes" (e.g. Nova's at [1]) and
* the "follows_standard_deprecation" policy [2].
I don't see the immediate need to duplicate that information.

I agree that there should be an explanation in ``deprecation_reason``
if ``deprecated_for_removal=True`` **why** we deprecated it and which
follow up actions seem to be reasonable for the ops.