[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Should we have a TripleO API, or simply use Mistral?

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 10:03:52 UTC 2016

On 18.1.2016 19:49, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
> [...]

(I'm going off on a tangent a bit, but please bear with me, i'm using
all that to support the point in the end. The implications of building a
TripleO API touch on various topics.)

Yes i think we should gather operator feedback. We already got some, but
we should gather more whenever possible.

One kind of (negative) feedback i've heard is that overcloud management
is too much of a "blackbox" compared to what operators are used to. The
feedback i recall was that it's hard to tell what is going to happen
when running an overcloud stack update, and that we cannot re-execute
the software config management independently.

Building another umbrella API to rule the already largely umbrella-like
deployment process (think what all responsibilities lie within the
tripleo-heat-templates codebase, and within the single 'overcloud' Heat
stack) would probably make matters more blackboxy and go further in the
direction of "i feel like i don't know what's happening to my cloud when
i use the management tool".

What i think could improve the situation for operators is trying to
chunk up what we already have into smaller, more independently operable
parts. The split-stack approach already discussed on the TripleO meeting
and on #tripleo could help with this. Essentially separating our
hardware management from our software config management. Being able to
re-apply software configuration without being afraid of having nodes
accidentally re-provisioned from scratch.

In general i think TripleO could be a little more "UNIXy" - composed of
smaller parts that make sense on their own, transparent to the operator,
more modular and modifiable, and in effect more receptive of how varying
are the real world deployment environments (various Neutron and Cinder
plugins, Keystone backends, composable set of services, custom node
types etc.).

Workflow persisted in a data-like fashion is probably more modifiable by
the operator than Python code of a REST API. We've seen hard assumptions
cause problems in the past. (Think the unoverridable CLI parameters
issue we used to have, and how we had to move to a model of "CLI
provides its values, but you can always override them or provide
additional ones with an environment file if needed", which we now use
extensively). I'm a bit concerned that building a new REST API on top of
everything would impose new rigid assumptions that could cause more harm
than good in the end. I'm concerned that it would be usable only for
very basic deployments, while the world of real deployments has its own
pace and requirements not fitting the "best practices" as defined by the
API, having to bypass the API far too often and slowly pushing it into
abandonment over time.

My mind is probably biased towards the the operator feedback that
resonated with me the most, i've heard pro-blackbox opinions too (though
not from operators yet IIRC). So take what i wrote just as my 2 cents,
but i think it's necessary to consider the above issues when thinking
about the implications of building a TripleO API.

Regarding the non-workflow kind of features we need for empowering GUI,
wouldn't those be useful for normal (tenant) Heat stack deployments in
the overcloud too? It sounds to me that features like "driving a Heat
stack deployment with the same powers from CLI or GUI", "updating a
CLI-created stack from GUI and vice versa", "understanding/parsing what
are the configuration options of my Heat templates" are all features
that are not specific to TripleO, and could be useful for tenant Heat
stacks too. So perhaps these should be implemented in Heat? If that
can't happen fast enough, then we might need to put some workarounds in
place for now, but it might be better if we didn't advertise those as a
stable solution.

Jirka