[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Is Swift a good choice of database for the TripleO API?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Jan 19 20:29:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 08:56:08 -0800
Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> You could create a unique swift container, upload things to that, and
> then update a pointer in a well-known location to point at that container
> for the new plan only after you've verified it is available. This is a
> primitive form of Read-copy-update.

It's worse than you think. Container updates lag often in Swift.
I suggest a pseudo-container or a manifest object instead. However,
renames in Swift are copies. Ergo, an external database has to point
to the current tip or the latest generation manifest. Which brings us
to...

> So if you are only using the DB for consistency, you might want to just
> use tooz+swift.

Yep. Still has to store the templates themselves somewhere though.

-- Pete