[openstack-dev] All hail Newton and Ocata

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Jan 19 15:39:49 UTC 2016

If you couldn't tell from the subject line, we've gotten clearance from
our friends on the Foundation staff and their legal team to be able to
announce the names of the N and O cycles.

The N release will be called "Newton" Newton was the overall winner of
the Condorcet poll. While you might be tempted to think that Newton is
named for the town of Newton, Texas, you'd be wrong, since Newton is in
Newton County which is not in the Hill Country. Indeed, we've chosen to
name our N release after "Newton House" which is located at 1013 E.
Ninth St., Austin, TX. which is listed on the National Register of
Historic Places.

I'm sure whoever happens to be there now will be THRILLED with (and
confused by) all of the OpenStack folks coming by the front yard for
pictures.

The O release will be called "Ocata". It was the third most popular
choice - but let's be honest about how litigious the International
Olympic Committee tends to be towards anything even resembling their
trademark.

Ocata is a beach about 20 minutes north of Barcelona by train. According
http://www.10best.com/destinations/spain/barcelona/articles/10best-itinerary-explore-barcelonas-undiscovered-beaches/
it's one of the "most fun" beaches. FWIW, there also seems to be a bar
named "Ocata" in Ocata.

In any case - thank you all for participating in our release naming process.

Monty