[openstack-dev] [nova] Bulk Instance Delete support

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jan 19 14:37:17 UTC 2016

I think it's also important to think about what efficiency might be
gained, which isn't much. DELETE is an async action that returns 202. If
you care about those resources or quota so you can build more, you need
to monitor those deletes.

Which means you are going to be looping on servers to determine status.
The bulk operation as a fire and forget isn't any more efficient on the
server, all the same teardown needs to happen there.

On 01/19/2016 09:32 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I am not aware of anyone working on this. That said, its also not clear
> to me that this is actually a good idea. Why can't you just loop through
> the instances and delete them one at a time?
>
> Michael
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:08 AM, vishal yadav <vishalcdac07 at gmail.com
> <mailto:vishalcdac07 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey guys,
>
>     Would like to know the plan for support of bulk instance delete
>     feature. There was a blueprint registered a while ago [1] but it's
>     status is not clear. No corresponding API [2]
>
>     [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bulk-delete-servers
>     [2] http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2.1.html
>
>     Regards,
>     Vishal