[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS][Octavia] Should subnet be optional on member create?

Brandon Logan brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM
Sat Jan 16 04:56:29 UTC 2016

I filed a bug [1] a while ago that subnet_id should be an optional
parameter for member creation.  Currently it is required.  Review [2] is
makes it optional.

The original thinking was that if the load balancer is ever connected to
that same subnet, be it by another member on that subnet or the vip on
that subnet, then the user does not need to specify the subnet for new
member if that new member is on one of those subnets.

At the midcycle we discussed it and we had an informal agreement that it
required too many assumptions on the part of the end user, neutron
lbaas, and driver.

If anyone wants to voice their opinion on this matter, do so on the bug
report, review, or in response to this thread.  Otherwise, it'll
probably be abandoned and not done at some point.

Thanks,
Brandon

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1426248
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/267935/