[openstack-dev] [all] Proposal: copyright-holders file in each project, or copyright holding forced to the OpenStack Foundation

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Jan 16 03:59:44 UTC 2016

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:53:49PM +0000, Chris Dent wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>
>>> Whatever we choose, I think we should ban having copyright holding text
>>> within our source code. While licensing is a good idea, as it is
>>> accurate, the copyright holding information isn't and it's just missleading.
>>
>> I think we should not add new copyright notifications in files.
>>
>> I'd also be happy to see all the existing ones removed, but that may
>> be a bigger problem.
>
> Only the copyright holder who added the notice is permitted to
> remove it. ie you can't unilaterally remove Copyright notices
> added by other copyright holders. See LICENSE term (4)(c)
>
> While you could undertake an exercise to get agreement from
> every copyright holder to remote their notices, its is honestly
> not worth the work IMHO.

Though we could ask copyright holders to declare giving it to the
foundation.

>>> If I was the only person to choose, I'd say let's go for 1/, but
>>> probably managers of every company wont agree.
>>
>> I think option one is correct.
>
> Copyright assignment is never the correct answer.

We don't have to force it, we can politely ask... Also, if we have a
top-level file declaring copyright holding by the foundation, if nobody
write in individual files, it is as if they agreed.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)