[openstack-dev] [all] Proposal: copyright-holders file in each project, or copyright holding forced to the OpenStack Foundation

Jan Klare j.klare at cloudbau.de
Fri Jan 15 13:02:59 UTC 2016

Hi Thomas,

good thoughts for a very important topic. I am currently refactoring a lot of code inside of the openstack-chef cookbooks and constantly have to ask myself, if i now have to add any copyright thingy to any file or am even allowed to delete the original copyright in a file after changing 100% of the code in it. I do not want to remove any copyright here, but i think this distribution of copyrights is very annoying and leads to the issues you mentioned below. In my opinion (although i agree, that 1) would be the best option but might be impossible since you would have to ask all companies, or find the persons responsible or allowed to remove these copyrights), we should move all the copyrights from all files to one central file per repo. The big question for me is, if we are allowed to do so and finally remove the copyrights from the files they are currently in.

Cheers,
Jan