[openstack-dev] [all] [api] Reminder about the State of WSME

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Jan 15 11:38:11 UTC 2016

I was checking the review queue for WSME earlier this week and
discovered a few new patches and some patches that are mostly
idling. This has inspired me to send out a reminder about the state
of WSME, at least as it relates to OpenStack.

Last summer when it seemed liked WSME was not being actively
maintained Lucas Gomes and I were pressganged into becoming core on
it. Since then we've made a couple releases to handle the pending
bug fixes but our recommendation all along has been: If you're
considering using WSME for something new: don't.

Unless active contributors step up this will continue to be the
case.

Even if active contributors do step up I'd still not recommend WSME.
Its architecture and implementation for handling the fundamentals
of HTTP is not great; the patches that have been done to try to
address this are overly complex and increase the difficulty in
maintaining the code.

We've had some discussion in the past to try and reach a consensus
on an alternative but not had any conclusions (though Flask gets
a lot of votes of confidence simply because it has such an active
community). At this point it seems best to leave it where it
probably should be anyway: In the hands of the main developers of
any project. Please just make sure that any app that is created can
be hosted by any reasonable WSGI host.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/