[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] How will nova advertise that volume multi-attach is supported?

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Thu Jan 14 15:42:10 UTC 2016

> It is however not ideal when a deployment is set up such that
> multiattach will always fail because a hypervisor is in use which
> doesn't support it.  An immediate solution would be to add a policy so a
> deployer could disallow it that way which would provide immediate
> feedback to a user that they can't do it.  A longer term solution would
> be to add capabilities to flavors and have flavors act as a proxy
> between the user and various hypervisor capabilities available in the
> deployment.  Or we can focus on providing better async feedback through
> instance-actions, and other discussed async api changes.

Presumably a deployer doesn't enable volumes to be set as multi-attach
on the cinder side if their nova doesn't support it at all, right? I
would expect that is the gating policy element for something global.

Now, if multiple novas share a common cinder, then I guess it gets a
little more confusing...

--Dan