[openstack-dev] [glance] allow a ranking mechanism for glance-api to order image locations

Fei Long Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jan 14 02:34:03 UTC 2016

Hi Jake,

Thanks for raising this topic. I'm really interested in it. I reviewed
most of the locations patches of Glance, so drop my 2 cents about this.
So firstly, I think it's a valid user case. As for the implementation, I
think a spec-lite is enough, given it's just a driver for current
location strategy. I haven't seen your code, so I'm not sure if your
implementation is ok for upstreaming. But I would assume your code is a
driver under
https://github.com/openstack/glance/tree/master/glance/common/location_strategy
and personally, I think the metadata of location is right way since the
location URL can't provide clear and enough information for the ranking.
We can discuss more on #openstack-glance channel. Cheers.

On 14/01/16 13:07, Jake Yip wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently ran across a constraint in glance-api while working with
> image locations. In essence, there is no way to customize ordering of
> image-locations other than the default location strategies, namely
> location_order and store_type [0]. It seems like a more generic method
> of ordering image locations is needed, IMHO.
>
> Some background - We are in a multi-cell environment and each cell has
> it's own glance-api server. All images are stored in a global swift
> cluster. We would like glance to be able to fetch images from a local
> store, so that we can do COW for backends like RBD.
>
> Unfortunately, none of the current location strategies works for us,
> as we might have multiple cells sharing the same backend. I've opened
> a bug / wishlist describing this issue [1]. I have also implemented
> code that allows us to achieve that based on image location metadata.
>
> I am wondering anyone else have solved this before? I would like to
> hear your opinions on how we can achieve this, and whether ranking it
> by metadata is the way to go.
>
> The current wishlist is now tracked as a spec-lite. Is this ok?
>
> Regards,
> Jake
>
> [0]
> http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/section_glance-api.conf.html
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1528453

Cheers & Best regards,
Fei Long Wang (王飞龙)
Senior Cloud Software Engineer
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington