[openstack-dev] [neutron] Testing Neutron with latest OVS

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Jan 13 23:38:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:47:21PM +0000, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:57:37PM CST, Mooney, Sean K wrote:
> > One of the ideas that I have been thinking about over the last month or two is do we
> > Want to create a dedicated library file in devstack to support compilation and installation
> > Of ovs.
>
> So, my suggestion is as follows: create a new devstack plugin that is
> *specifically* geared towards just compiling OVS and installing it to
> get the bits that you need.

+1, you do not want a monolithic plugin that does everything. Creating a
separate small plugin to install ovs from source and the other pieces necessary
for doing that is the best path for enabling this.

> I'm just concerned about the feature creep
> that is happening in the Neutron DevStack plugin ( which I didn't like in
> the first place ) where now every little thing is getting proposed
> against it.
>
> I'd prefer to see small, very specific DevStack plugins that have narrow
> focus, and jobs that need them for specific things adding them to their
> local.conf settings explicitly via enable_repo lines.

This is the intended way to use plugins. Dumping everything but the kitchen
sink into a single plugin is just going to tightly couple too much and lead
to an undebugable tangled ball of yarn. The idea with plugins is to have
smaller plugins that can be used in conjunction to configure and enable
various additional pieces.

> The concern I have with compiling bleeding edge OVS and then running our
> Neutron jobs is that yes, we get new features, but yes we also get
> the newest bugs and the configuration matrix for Neutron now gets a new
> dimension of 'packaged OVS versus git commit SHA'

I don't think you ever want to have a gating job with OVS from source.
There is way too much potential instability when building something like this
from source to rely on it. An experimental job would probably be as far as I
would go with something like this. Going any further than that is just asking
for trouble.

-Matt Treinish