[openstack-dev] [neutron] Testing Neutron with latest OVS

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 20:59:19 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Jakub Libosvar <jlibosva at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> recently I was working on firewall driver [1] that requires latest
> features in OVS, specifically conntrack support. In order to get the
> driver tested, we need to have the latest OVS kernel modules on machines
> running tests but AFAIK there is no stable "2.5 like" release of OVS yet.
>
> Facing the same problem OVN did in the past, I decided to try to steal
> their solution and apply it in our Neutron repo [2]. Sean and Matthew
> rightfully expressed worries about this approach on review of [2].
>
> So I'd like to bring this to a broader audience and ask for help or
> suggestion on how to test such Neutron features that require some newer
> versions.
>
> The first idea was to have an option to compile trunk ovs and use it in
> particular jobs like functional one. That would bring faster development
> of features going along with ovs features.

I think we should use a newer OVS version that for the functional and fullstack
jobs at the very least. This will enable us to test the OVS firewall
driver you're
working on, as well as the OVS ARP responder (Which was merged a long time
ago, but lacks proper testing because it needs OVS 2.1+ and we gate
using OVS 2.0).

So, that's the problem. How we solve it is another manner - I was
under the impression
that compiling it is our only option. Right now OVN are compiling
master, I think we
should avoid that and compile a specific git hash instead so the gate
won't break every
time OVS breaks. Then, when OVS branch out 2.5, we can 'pin' on that.
At that point
we could perhaps switch to a packaged OVS off some sort of experimental repo.