[openstack-dev] [kolla] Heka v ELK stack logistics

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Jan 13 13:29:29 UTC 2016

From: David Moreau Simard <dms at redhat.com<mailto:dms at redhat.com>>
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 5:55 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [kolla] Heka v ELK stack logistics

So is it decided that we want Heka instead of ELK in Kolla and that it is just a matter of time, then ?

Before "deciding" a vote is necessary of the core reviewers.  I just want to get the ball rolling because it seems like the core reviewers are leaning towards a Heka based solution and if we do use Heka, I'd like it done in Mitaka if at all possible so our operators don't have to learn a new diagnostics system.

My beef against rsyslog is it has a bunch of gaps that we will never be able to fix.  I don't recall the exact details, but inc0 or SamYaple could probably point them out in more detail.  In my opinion this isn't about replacing logstash, this is about replacing rsyslog.  This also isn't about performance or scalability – I think logstash can do the performance job needed for an OpenStack diagnostics system.

It may be that Heka turns out to be a waste of time – the only way to know for certain is to see a proof of concept implementation – and if its better then logstash, merge it.

I also have a beef against Java in general, because of the JVM fork between open source and Oracle.  To me this makes dependencies that use Java less viable – even though I recognize Elasticsearch is implemented in Java.

I recognize all your points about the well known mature nature of logstash.  To me this is a huge advantage.  Choosing dependencies wisely is one of the most important decisions made in software design and maturity goes a long way in the decision making process about dependency acceptance.  I don't know much about Heka's maturity or even suitability for our problems – I am just basing this discussion on the direction I see happening on the mailing list.

It would be nice if we could have both and select one or the other, but we are not going to be implementing in that manner as we need to choose one or the other.

A POC that fixes all the gaps in rsyslog will be necessary to obtain my +2 on the patch stream reviews.

Regards
-steve

Clark Boyle put forward some very good points [1] which seem to have gone sadly mostly ignored.

What are we trying to address by replacing ELK ? Performance ? Clark's numbers are far from being bad and ELK effectively scales in any direction you want.

I'll put on my operator hat and would like to give my +1 to keep ELK instead of Heka.
ELK at this point is all but a golden standard. People know it, people use it, people troubleshoot it. If something goes wrong, I can go on Google, on IRC or mailing lists and expect someone to be able to help.
This is worth a lot to operators. OpenStack is already expensive enough, even if you don't take the vendor route.

Python is slow but you don't see OpenStack being rewritten in Go (ok, Swift, you're an exception). Python just has that massive community of developers that OpenStack can tap into. This is worth a lot and in that respect, I am happy that OpenStack is in Python, even if it is slow.

I'm not saying Heka is a bad decision or that it's an eccentric/exotic choice. But please let the decision be mindful of the people that will be deploying, configuring and supporting this. I don't believe a performance increase is worth it unless ELK was a real and painful bottleneck, which it is not.

My 0.02$CAD (definitely not worth a lot right now)

[1]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/083916.html

David Moreau Simard

dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]