[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Driving workflows with Mistral

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 13:24:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-01-12 at 12:52 +0100, Jiri Tomasek wrote:
> [...]
> > something we have avoided with Heat in TripleO but I think it is
> > perhaps more reasonable with Mistral and would allow us to again
> > build
> > out our YAML workflows to drive things. This might allow us to
> > build
> > off some of the tripleo-common consolidation that is already
> > underway
> >
> > - We could achieve a "stable API" by simply maintaining input
> > parameters for workflows in a stable manner. Or perhaps workflows
> > get
> > versioned like a normal API would be as well.
> >
> > - The purist part of me likes Mistral quite a bit. It fits nicely
> > with
> > the deploy OpenStack with OpenStack. I sort of feel like if we have
> > build our own API in TripleO part of this vision has failed and
> > could
> > even be seen as a massive technical debt which would likely be hard
> > build a community around outside of TripleO.
> >
> > - Some of the proposed validations could perhaps be implemented as
> > new
> > Mistral actions as well. I'm not convinced we require TripleO API
> > just
> > to support a validations mechanism yet. Perhaps validations seem
> > hard
> > because we are simply trying to do them in the wrong places anyway?
> > (like for example perhaps we should validate network connectivity
> > at
> > inspection time rather than during provisioning).
> >
> > - Power users might find a workflow built around a Mistral API more
> > easy to interact with and expand upon. Perhaps this ends up being
> > something that gets submitted as a patchset back to the TripleO
> > that we
> > accept into our upstream "stock" workflow sets.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Last week we landed the last patches [4] to our undercloud to
> > enable
> > installing Mistral by simply setting: enable_mistral = true in
> > undercloud.conf. NOTE: you'll need to be using a recent trunk repo
> > from
> > Delorean so that you have the recently added Mistral packages for
> > this
> > to work. Although the feature is disable by default this should
> > enable
> > those wishing to tinker with Mistral as a new TripleO undercloud
> > service an easy path forwards.
> >
> > [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/230432
> > [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnAT37O-sdw
> > [3] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/mistral/tree/mistral/ac
> > tion
> > s/openstack/mapping.json
> > [4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-undercloud-workflow

> Hi, I have a few questions:
>
> Is Mistral action able to access/manipulate local files? E.g. access
> the
> templates installed at undercloud's
> /usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates?

Yes. I'm actually working some prototype Mistral actions for tripleo-
common which will do just this to dovetail into a deployment workflow.
(I had to take care of a few heatclient things first though).

> I Mistral action able to call either OpenStack service python client
> or
> OpenStack service API directly?

The Mistral actions themselves would be written in Python. So I think
the answer here is yes... we could easily make use of existing
OpenStack python clients, or go at the API's ourselves.

> What is the response from the Mistral action in the workflow? Lets
> say
> we'd use Mistral to get a list of available environments (we do this
> in
> tripleo-common now) So we call Mistral API to trigger a workflow
> that
> has single action which gets the list of environments. Is mistral
> able
> to provide this list as a response, or it is able just to trigger a
> workflow?

Yes, the response from individual actions is quite flexible and can
really be just about anything we want so long at it is serializable I
think.

Probably best to look directly at the Mistral action base class for the
best answer here I think though:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/mistral/tree/mistral/actions/ba
se.py#n50

The action result could then be processed by YAQL in a Mistral workflow
and then used in subsequent workflow items or treated as an output to
the workflow itself.

> In similar manner, is Mistral able to provide a way to get workflow
> in
> progress data? E.g. We have a Mistral workflow for nodes
> introspection.
> This workflow contains several actions calling to ironic and
> ironic-inspector apis. GUI calls Mistral API to trigger the workflow
> and
> now it needs to have a way to track the progress of that workflow.
> How
> would this be achieved?

I've been running 'mistral execution-list' and then you can watch
(poll) for the relevant execution items to finish running. Sure,
polling isn't great but I'd say lets start with this perhaps.

> I think forcing GUI to poll the APIs that are
> called in the actions and try to implement logic that estimates what
> state the workflow is to report about it is not a valid solution. We
> need the workflow API (Mistral) to provide a lets say web sockets
> connection and push the status of actions along with relevant data,
> so
> GUI can listen to those.

I don't think Mistral has a websockets implementation. I think Zaqar
does though, and I think perhaps one way we could go about this sort of
notification might be to integrate our workflows with a Zaqar queue or
something. GUI would listen to a Zaqar queue for example... and the
workflow (as it executes) would post things to a specific queue.
Perhaps this is opt-in, only if a Zaqar queue is provided to a given
workflow. FWIW, integrating Mistral w/ Zaqar actions would likely be
quite easy.

Alternately we could look at what it would take to add websocket
support to Mistral directly.